Falls Park with the Big Sioux River going through it.
Falls Park in Sioux Falls, SD is on the Big Sioux River has been a focus of life in the region through history. Indians were the first to visit the falls and bring stories of them to European explorers. They have been the focus of recreation and industry since the founding of the city of Sioux Falls in 1856. Today the park covers 42 acres. Each second, an average of 7,400 gallons of water drop 100 feet over the course of the falls. there is a lazar and light show every night after twilight, sponsored by wells Fargo Bank. The Morrell meat packing factory is just north of the park and when the wind is blowing south the smell is awesome.. yuck...
To view any picture on a larger scale just click on it.
Then click your browsers back button to return.
The pictures below of the Sioux Falls Light and Power Company hydroelectric plant was completed in 1908 and housed three 500-kilowatt generators. In subsequent years the plant added additional coal-fired steam generators. The plant was abandoned in 1974.
The other building on the river is the Queen Bee Mill.
The remains of the seven-story Queen Bee Mill. Built in the fall of 1887 so the farmers could avoid the cost of shipping wheat to Minnesota or Wisconsin. The mill opened on Oct 25, 1881 at a cost of $5000,000. The mill could process 1,500 bushels each day. However, by 1883, the mill was closed, a victim of inadequate water power and a short supply of wheat.